Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Would We Be Killed Response


The White Americans marginalized the Native Americans by making them change from what they believe into what the Whites wanted them to be. In the article it says “ Kill the Indian,save the man,” was Pratt’s saying.” This shows that they really didn’t want to kill the human ( Native Americans ) They just wanted to get rid of the pride the Native Americans had, and make them into what they wanted them to be (White Americans). They also wanted the kids to go to school that taught them how to be white so that the Native American kids won’t know how it feels to actually be them selfs. In the article it says “Native Americans were living on reservations, barely surviving on food and cast-off clothes provided by the U.S. government.” This shows another way that American Indian’s were marginalized if they didn’t want to change the way they nationality. 
      

The purpose of the story Shanice Britton is to show that all nationalities are not the same. It also shows the reader how a girl who everyone expects to be like all Native Americans but she actually acts like normal American teenager. Shanice maybe Native American and does things as a normal American would but she still have her things and acts of showing that she is a proud Native American. For an example it says in the article “ (I did bring some deer jerky to my dorm room, because it’s familiar and reminds me of home.)” This shows that she wants to be reminded of home so that she feels like she’s not that far away and also something she could share wight the people at her college to let them try her food her family and herself eats. It also says in the article “Sometimes my classmates will tell me that I talk differently, because I’ll say something in slang “from the rez.” But that’s OK—it’s part of who I am. I’m not trying to hide that. In fact, I often wear my beadwork jewelry proudly around campus.” This shows that she is also not affriad to show that she is Native American and that she has a lot of pride for being Native American. 

No comments:

Post a Comment